Mental health challenges neither occur in a vacuum nor heal in a vacuum. People experiencing behavioral health challenges may not realize how powerfully their mental health struggle is affecting their close friends and family. Furthermore, a person suffering from mental health concerns also may not know just how key their affected family members can be to recovery.
In addition to individualized treatment for the affected person, family therapy may be used to help address a variety of behavioral health challenges, including:
- Substance abuse or addiction
- Coping with a serious illness
- Anorexia, bulimia, and other eating disorders
- Suicidal tendencies
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)—and more.
Connected and understanding relationships are essential to mental health. Discussing the impacts of a mental health concern or crises with our families and spouses or partners can be essential for mental well-being, and its benefits can be seen long after treatment is completed.
Benefits of Family Counseling on Behavioral Health Treatment & Recovery
There are 3 major ways family therapy can make behavioral health treatment more effective:
- Family therapy involves professional counseling with a licensed marriage and family therapist (LMFT), who has the skills to facilitate positive and healthy discussion of difficult topics.
- Family therapy can improve communication and problem-solving between spouses and family members, in addition to teaching healthy coping skills and building a sense of connectedness between family members.
- Family therapy is goal-driven and takes a strategic approach to strengthening families.
In addition to providing a collective and practical approach for individuals and their loved ones, family therapy sends a powerful message to the struggling individual. Behavioral health problems like addiction and depression are often very isolating and disheartening for those affected. However, when families are willing to walk alongside a loved one with a behavioral health challenge, it demonstrates teamwork and support, which is essential to long-term recovery and rehabilitation.
Family Therapy and Mental Health Care in Northern California
When a person is participating in our clinical programs, we offer couples and family sessions to facilitate healing and understanding amongst those impacted by a mental health concern. Our team at Therapeutic Solutions has the tools, programs, and individualized care options you need to make a full, long-term recovery. The licensed clinicians, doctors, and caregivers on our staff are trained to provide you with the compassionate, individualized care you need. Whether you are dealing with anxiety, substance abuse, a personality disorder, or any other mental health struggle, we are here to help.
Let us be the support you need. Call (530) 899-3150 to get in touch with a member of our compassionate mental health care team.