What Is Dialectical Behavioral Therapy?
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) is a specialized program designed to serve individuals who have difficult-to-treat health issues, helping them reestablish control over their own lives. It is particularly helpful for people who have undergone standard treatment for mental and emotional problems but have not seen positive results.
DBT gives people experiencing painful emotions and relational conflict the following tools to achieve greater balance in their personal lives:
- Mindfulness: Mindfulness allows recipients of DBT to learn to accept their current circumstances and live in the present, rather than engaging in unhealthy or destructive coping methods.
- Distress tolerance: This aspect of DBT focuses on helping participants tolerate negative emotions, rather than running away from them or reacting to them in an unhealthy way. It also allows those undergoing DBT to gain a greater awareness and understanding of their emotions.
- Emotional regulation: Emotional self-regulation often takes very practical forms, all of which can be learned through DBT and provide struggling persons with ways to change and manage powerful emotions in a healthy way.
- Interpersonal effectiveness: Since relationships are a key component of a balanced life, learning how to relate properly to others is key. DBT allows participants to learn to communicate in a way that is self-respecting, honest, and conductive to strong, meaningful connections.
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy Program in Northern California
At Therapeutic Solutions, we provide DBT therapy for individuals struggling with challenges related to the following:
- Mood and personality disorders
- Suicidal thoughts, impulses, and tendencies
- Self-harm and self-destructive habits
- Behavioral health concerns that have been unaffected using traditional methods and medication
- Frequently experiencing emotional crises
- Impulsive behaviors like over-spending, losing temper, excessive substance use, etc.
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy is different from process-driven therapy, focusing on providing you with the skills and tools they need to effectively cope with emotions and impulses.
When you call us for behavioral health treatment in Chico, ask about our Dialectical Behavioral Therapy Intensive Outpatient Program in Northern California and allow us to help you achieve the healing, balance, and skills to promote wellness in your life.
We are prepared to provide you with a program assessment when you call us at (530) 899-3150.